Deadline Extended to February 8th, 2023:
After reviewing the eligibility rules below, please go to the link for our Entry Form to upload your submissions: https://www.herbblockfoundation.org/herblock-prize/entry-form
If you have any problems, please contact Sarah Alex at [email protected]
The Herblock Prize contest is open to any editorial cartoonist whose work appeared regularly in a newspaper, magazine, syndicate website or related online platform published in the U.S. or its territories in 2022. Cartoons appearing in U.S. editions of foreign publications are also eligible. This includes animated cartoons.
The winner will attend the annual Herblock Prize & Lecture to receive a $20,000 tax-free cash award and a trophy from Tiffany & Co. designed for the Herblock Prize.
A finalist will be announced and receive a $7,500 tax-free cash award.
Note: There is no entry fee for the Herblock Prize contest. Given the difficulties facing editorial cartoonists, the Foundation believes the fee money can be better used to support other efforts to promote the craft.
- For the Herblock Prize 2023, ALL ENTRIES MUST BE ONLINE via our entry form on the website.
- One zipped folder containing all files labeled with your name, i.e. "First-Last.zip" is preferred. (If you have problems please contact Sarah Alex at [email protected] or [email protected])
- All entries must be submitted or postmarked no later than Feb. 8, 2023 for calendar year 2022.
- Entrants can either enter their own work (self-sponsored) or be sponsored by their publication. If the entry is sponsored, the entry must be accompanied by a cover letter from the sponsor.
- There can be no more than 15 entries nor fewer than 10 entries per individual.
Each cartoon entered must be an 8 x 10 inch print of the original submitted in a three-ring binder (or similar size and form).
Animated entries should be provided on a CD (preferably in Quicktime format).
- Each entrant must provide a biography and a photo with the submission.
- Material submitted with the entry becomes the property of The Herb Block Foundation and may be used to publicize the awards program or collected in educational and/or research archives for educational purposes.
- Contestants or their sponsor must certify that the submitted entries were published as presented in the year of contest eligibility.
- The winner must agree to appear at the Herblock Prize awards ceremony in Washington, D.C. (typically btw March and May)